THE JOY OF CONSECRATED LIFE


A sharing given on 1 Feb 2013, at St Teresa's Church, Singapore to celebrate the World Day for Consecrated Life.

THE JOY OF CONSECRATED LIFE


Greetings/invitation to share
Good evening your Excellency Archbishop Leopoldo Girelli, your Grace Archbishop Nicholas Chia, my fellow religious, lay consecrated, brothers and sisters in Christ…

When I was invited to give a short sharing on this topic, I was a bit hesitant to say YES! After all, there are probably many others here this evening who are probably more joyful than me in living their consecrated life.  Nevertheless I prayed over it and decided to risk a YES!
So here am I.

Joy rooted in the joy of being a Christian
Well, for me, the joy of living a consecrated life stems very much from the joy of being a Christian – from the joy of knowing this wonderful and amazing person called Jesus, and from experiencing his unconditional and merciful love for me. It’s an experience of love that has touched and moved me so deeply that my only response is to want to share this love with others. But there are many ways of doing this. I mean I could still share God’s love as a single lay person, as a wife and mother but one day, finally, after some reluctance, I decided to heed his call to follow him more closely as a religious among the Daughters of Saint Paul.

Meaning in mission - spirituality
The Pauline mission is to use the media to evangelise, to use the media to spread and share the Good News of God’s tremendous, salvific love to the world. I find great joy in that because I personally, returned to God, through the help of the printed word –  basically through a book (Mere Christianity by CS Lewis). And I continue to deepen my relationship with God often also through the media - through music, films, through stories.
So there’s the mission on one hand which I love and find great meaning in carrying it out, and on the other is the spirituality – that provides those sacred privileged moments of prayer (formally and informally) which help me deepen my relationship with God.
And perhaps this is very important, when one is considering the religious life, to join a congregation whose mission and spirituality resonates within you. 

20 years of religious life – missionary experiences – God’s constant love
This year 2013 actually marks my 20th year as a religious – I entered in 1993. Now over the past 20 years, it has been a very exciting, enriching yet challenging journey, especially living in the Phillipines for 8 years and more recently in Kenya for 5 years. I have had my share of ups and downs, crises of varying degrees. Yet through them all, the one constant that kept me going is none other than the love of God for me, which I continue to experience in varied ways.

God is never out done in generosity – Sisterhood/ community life
Many people come up to me and say “wow, you’ve given up a lot to join the convent – a career, the possibility of a family…” Well God is never outdone in generosity. I can honestly say that I’ve experienced the hundredfold  - which Jesus speaks about in the gospels -  in so many ways. One example – Sisters!!
When I was growing up, and being an only daughter (I have one elder brother), I’ve always longed to have either a younger or older sister. Well, when I entered the convent, I have over two thousand Sisters today!
Although community life is never perfect and never a bed of roses, there are moments of joy – in hanging out with my Sisters, in carrying out our mission together, in praying together. And I think what helps me in living in community is to apply that famous Kennedy quote – ‘ it’s not what my community can do for me but what I can do for my community?’ And also to lower my expectations – of my Sisters as well as of myself.

Spirituality of the Donut

A central part of experiencing the hundredfold or you could say the main content of my cup brimming over is to find joy and meaning in living a life of poverty/simplicity, chastity and obedience which is integral in our life of consecration.
This makes me recall the Spirituality of the donut (SHOW IMAGE OF DONUT)
Living a life of consecration sometimes can be likened to the hole integral in the donut. On the surface and in the eyes of the world it appears to be just a hole, an emptiness.  But it’s an emptiness or longing  within us that only can be filled by God. So much so that when God fills up this emptiness, then we are able to experience that
Poverty becomes the greatest wealth
Chastity, the greatest love
Obedience, the greatest freedom
And there is but only joy in surrendering ourselves totally to God to experience a life of true freedom, true wealth, and true love.

Frassati – model of faith and joy
But of course we need a lot of faith, hope and graces to live this life of surrender well. Along our journey of religious life, along our journey of faith, it’s important to have models to inspire and edify us. One spiritual hero of mine is Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati (3rd order Dominican). He was a young social activist from a prominent family who had a heart for the poor. He died at only 24 from polio which he contracted while nursing the sick.


This is a quote by him from his letter to his sister as he was dying from polio:

"You ask me whether I am in good spirits.  How could I not be, so long as my trust in God gives me strength.  We must always be cheerful.  Sadness should be banished from all Christian souls.  For suffering is a far different thing from sadness, which is the worst disease of all.  It is almost always caused by lack of Faith.  But the purpose for which we have been created shows us the path along which we should go, perhaps strewn with many thorns, but not a sad path.  Even in the midst of intense suffering it is one of joy."

Before coming across this quote, I always associated suffering with sadness. If you are suffering, it’s natural to be sad - or so I thought. But here’s a different perspective. One can be suffering and yet be joyful because suffering does not equate with sadness. With the love of Christ in our hearts, our lives should be filled with so much joy that we can embrace and overcome our sufferings which will always be there as part of our journey. Of course we need the grace of faith.

I wish each of you during this year of faith many opportunities to deepen your faith, and to live and express your faith with much love and joy.

Sister Wendy Ooi, fsp



Korean Translation:
세계 봉헌생활의 날을 맞아 싱가포르 성 데레사 성당에서 2013년 2월 1일에 발표한 나눔

봉헌생활의 기쁨

인사/ 나눔을 위한 초대
안녕하십니까? 존경하올 레오폴도 지렐리 추기경님, 니콜라스 치아 대주교님, 저와 같은 길을 걸어가는 수도자들과 평신도 봉헌생활자들, 그리스도 안의 형제자매님들께 인사드립니다.
봉헌생활의 기쁨이라는 주제에 대해 간략하게 나눠 달라는 초대를 받았을 때 저는 곧바로 ‘예!’ 하고 응답하지 못한 채 망설였습니다. 오늘 저녁 이 자리에 모인 많은 분들 가운데 어쩌면 저보다 더 기쁘게 봉헌생활을 하는 분이 분명 계실 것입니다. 그럼에도 저는 이 초대를 앞에 두고 기도하면서 ‘예!’ 하고 받아들이기로 마음먹었습니다.
그래서 오늘 제가 이 자리에 섰습니다.

그리스도인이 된 기쁨에 뿌리를 둔 기쁨
저에게 봉헌생활을 살아가는 기쁨은 무엇보다 그리스도인이 된 기쁨, 다시 말해 예수님이라는 경이롭고도 놀라운 분을 앎에서 움트는 기쁨, 저에 대한 무조건적이고 자애로운 사랑에서 흘러나오는 기쁨에서 비롯됩니다. 이 기쁨은 저를 그토록 깊이 어루만지며 이끌어 주신 분의 사랑을 체험한 데서 나옵니다. 그래서 저는 그 사랑을 사람들과 함께 나누고자 합니다. 물론 그 사랑을 나누는 방법은 참 많습니다. 단순히 독신으로 살아가는 평신도로서, 또는 아내요 어머니로서 저는 하느님의 사랑을 나눌 수 있었습니다. 어느 날 저는 약간의 망설임 끝에 성바오로딸수도회 수도자로서 그분의 부르심을 더욱 가까이 따르기로 결심했습니다.

선교사명의 의미와 영성
바오로딸의 사명은 복음화를 위해 미디어를 사용하는 것입니다. 세상을 향한 놀라운 구원을 가져다주는 하느님 사랑을 전하는 기쁜 소식을 선포하고 나누는 데 미디어를 사용하는 것입니다. 저는 개인적으로 인쇄 문자, 다시 말해 한 권의 책(세인트 루이스의 )에서 도움을 받고 하느님께 돌아와 커다란 기쁨을 찾았습니다. 그래서 저는 각종 미디어, 곧 음악과 영화와 이야기를 통해 하느님과의 관계를 깊입니다.
저의 한 손에는 선교사명이 있습니다. 저는 이 사명을 몹시 사랑하며, 이 사명을 수행하면서 커다란 의미를 발견합니다. 또 다른 한 손에는 영성이 있는데, 이 영성은 (공적으로나 비공식적으로나) 하느님과의 관계를 깊이게 하는 거룩하고도 특별한 기도의 순간입니다. 수도생활을 염두에 두고 있다면, 선교사명과 영성이 한데 어울려 울려 퍼지는 수도회에 들어가고자 한다면 영성은 매우 중요한 요소입니다.

20년 동안의 수도생활과 선교사 체험, 한결같은 하느님 사랑
2013년은 제가 수도생활을 한 지 20년이 되는 해입니다. 저는 1993년에 수도원에 들어갔습니다. 지난 20년 가운데 가장 흥미롭고 풍요로우면서도 도전을 하게 한 여정은 특별히 필리핀에서 지낸 8년과 최근 케냐에서 지낸 5년이라는 세월입니다. 힘들 때도 좋을 때도 있었고, 다양한 모습의 위기를 맞았습니다만, 그런 가운데 제가 항구하게 걸어가게 한 것은 무엇보다 저를 향한 하느님의 사랑이었습니다. 저는 지금도 여러 가지 모습으로 하느님 사랑을 체험합니다.

한없이 너그러우신 하느님 -- 자매애와 공동체 생활
많은 사람이 저에게 와서 이렇게 말합니다. “어머나. 수녀님은 수녀원에 들어가기 위해 경력과 가정을 이룰 수 있는 가능성 등 참 많은 것을 포기하셨군요.” 그렇지만 하느님은 한없이 관대하십니다. 예수님이 복음에서 말씀하시는 바와 같이 저는 여러 면에서 백배가 넘는 상이 주어짐을 체험했다고 감히 말씀드릴 수 있습니다. 그 한 예는 자매들입니다!
제가 자랄 때 저는 외동딸이었습니다(오빠가 하나 있습니다). 저는 늘 언니나 여동생이 있기를 바랐습니다. 그런데 수도원에 들어와 보니 2000명이 넘는 자매들이 있었습니다!
공동체 생활은 결코 완벽하거나 안락하지 않습니다. 그렇지만 자매들과 함께 지내는 순간들, 선교사명을 함께 수행하는 가운데, 그리고 함께 기도하는 가운데 기쁨을 맛보는 순간들이 있습니다. 공동체 생활에 도움을 주는 유명한 구절이 있습니다. 케네디의 명언입니다. “나의 공동체가 나를 위해 무엇을 해줄 수 있는가보다 내가 공동체를 위해 무엇을 할 수 있는가를 생각하라.”는 것입니다. 또한 함께 살아가는 자매들과 나 자신에 대한 기대감을 낮추는 것입니다.

도넛 영성
백배의 상을 체험하게 하는 핵심 또는 자신의 컵이 흘러넘치게 하는 요점은 바로 봉헌생활의 중심인 가난과 단순함, 정결과 순명을 살아가는 기쁨과 의미를 발견하는 일입니다.



이는 도넛 영성을 떠올리게 합니다.(도넛 이미지를 보여준다.)
봉헌생활을 살아가는 것은 도넛에서 없어서는 안 될 텅 빈 구멍과 같습니다. 표면적으로나 세상의 눈으로 볼 때 그 구멍은 단순히 뻥 뚫린 구멍, 곧 허공과 같을지 모릅니다. 그러나 그 구멍은 오로지 하느님만이 채우실 수 있는 우리 안의 텅 빔 또는 갈망입니다. 그 갈망은 너무나 커서 하느님만이 채워주실 수 있습니다. 그때 우리는 비로소 가난은 가장 큰 부요, 정결은 가장 큰 사랑이며 순명은 가장 큰 자유임을 체험하게 됩니다. 참된 자유와 참된 부와 참사랑을 체험하기 위해 우리 자신을 하느님께 온전히 내어 맡길 때 우리는 비로소 기쁨을 얻습니다.

프라사티 -- 믿음과 기쁨의 모델
기꺼이 내맡기는 삶을 살아가려면 깊은 믿음과 희망, 은총이 필요합니다. 수도생활의 여정 또는 믿음의 여정을 잘 걸어가려면 우리에게 영감을 주며 우리를 고양시키는 모델을 지니는 것이 중요합니다. 저의 영적 영웅 가운데 한 분은 복자 피에르 조르조 프라사티(도미니코회 3회)입니다. 그는 가난한 이들에게 연민을 지닌 유명한 집안 출신의 사회 활동가였습니다. 그는 아픈 이들을 간호하다 소아마비에 전염되어 24살에 운명을 달리 했습니다.
다음은 소아마비로 죽어간 그가 자신의 누이에게 쓴 편지 가운데 인용한 내용입니다.
"너는 내 상태가 좋은지 어떤지 묻는구나. 하느님께 대한 나의 신뢰가 나에게 힘을 주고 있으니 어찌 나쁠 수가 있겠니. 우리는 언제나 쾌활해야 해. 믿는 모든 이의 영혼에서 슬픔은 추방되어야 해. 슬픔은 가장 나쁜 질병이거든. 슬픔은 거의 언제나 신앙의 결핍에서 생기지. 우리가 창조된 목적은 우리가 가야 할 길을 보여준단다. 그 길은 어쩌면 많은 가시들로 엉클어져 있을지 모르지만 슬픔으로 가득한 여정은 아니야. 극심한 고통 가운데서도 기쁨을 찾을 수 있으니 말이야.“
이 구절을 만나기 전에 저는 언제나 고통을 슬픔에 연결시켜 생각했습니다. 여러분이 고통을 받고 있다면 그건 분명 슬픈 일일 것입니다. 그러나 이 구절은 저에게 다른 시각을 가져다주었습니다. 누군가 고통을 받을 수 있지만 그래도 여전히 기쁠 수 있습니다. 고통은 슬픔과 같은 것이 아니기 때문입니다. 우리 마음에 있는 그리스도의 사랑으로 우리 삶은 기쁨으로 가득 차 우리 여정의 일부인 고통을 받아들여 극복할 수 있습니다. 물론 신앙의 은총이 필요합니다.

이 신앙의 해에 여러분 한 분 한 분이 저마다 신앙을 깊이고, 깊은 사랑과 기쁨으로 그 신앙을 살고 드러내는 기회가 되길 바랍니다.

Thanks to Sister Maria Theresa Kim, fsp /김애란 마리데레사 수녀 for the Korean translation


1 comment:

  1. Great post, you have written it beautifully and mentioned all the details in single post, thank you for sharing it. I will definitely going to share this post with my friends

    ReplyDelete